Week Two: Social Media

To: Professor Stice
Date: September 7, 15
Subject: Social Media Policy for the Austin Fire Department

After getting the opportunity to research and indentify a social media policy relevant to my own interests, I chose to read up on that of the Austin Fire Department. I found my article on Firefighternation.com

https://www.firefighternation.com/article/technology-and-communications/social-media-policies-protect-fire-departments

The policy reads as follows:

“Members of the Austin Fire Department shall not criticize or ridicule the Department, its policies, its officers or other members by speech, writing or other expression, when such speech, writing or expression:
1. is defamatory, obscene, slanderous or unlawful; and/or
2. tends to interfere with the maintenance of proper discipline; and/or
3. damages or impairs the reputation and/or efficiency of the Department or member.
“This includes, but is not limited to, written, auditory and/or visual messages communicated via or on Department resources or via personal devices, such as cell phones, PDAs, etc., and/or social media (Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc.). Any written, auditory and/or visual messages communicated by a member that are relative to the Austin Fire Department in any capacity are the sole property of the Austin Fire Department. This includes, but is not limited to, any written, auditory, and/or visual messages communicated via or on Department resources or via or on personal devices and/or social media.’

I found that the city of Austin Texas’ Fire Department policy on social media to be one that was fair and just for all members. Having a clear and direct message sent out to all members of the department, there leaves next to no room for error or misjudgment. The main take away from this policy is to protect not only the members of the Austin Fire Department, but also the department as whole. Any social media relating back to the Austin Fire Department that is shared on the Internet has the potential to be misconstrued to form a potential negative interpretation or cost the reputation of the department as a whole.

On a personal level, I can certainly relate to this policy. I myself work for a fire department and often have conversations with my fellow firefighters as well as chief officers discussing the potential mishaps of social media both on and off duty. Regardless if the intentions are that of a positive manner, there is always the potential to have such information connect back to the employer in a negative light. I do understand that citizens in the U.S. have their Fire Amendment Rights, but it should be duly noted that any content published by a member of the fire department directly reflects back on that of the fire department. With that in mind, every employee is always reminded of this when the topic of social media comes into conversation.

Work Cited

DeCrane, Michelle. “Social Media Policies Protect Fire Departments.’ FireRescue Sept. 2010: n. pag. Firefighternation.com. 31 Aug. 2010. Web. 7 Sept. 2015.

Leave a Reply