How to build a snow house: Bush style

Instructions on How to Build A Snow House

1. First, wait for enough snow to fall. The snow needs to be hard packed and sturdy enough to dig deep.This happens when it snow a lot, melts a little, snow again and melts a little again.  
  2. I prefer using an arrow shaped shovel, so that you’ll be able to easily dig into the snow. Also, it’s easier using gloves (otherwise you may get blisters). Use the shovel to create an outline of an entrance (about 4’x4′) into a 12’X12′ snow pile (or bigger), then start digging in until you’ve dug in at least 2 feet.  
  3. Once you’ve dug deep enough for the arctic entrance, visualize the shape of the snow house and set parameters (estimate how far you can and cannot go until you reach the side wall). If you prefer more than one entrance, repeat step 2 in the desired spot. I prefer one entrance so cold air doesn’t get in as much.
  4. Continue digging around the parameters of the walls. Once the snow house is big enough, you can lay down and use your feet as leverage for enough pressure to dig the tunnel upward to the desired width. Do not dig too deep up, or you’ll break through the snow house walls.  
  5. For an igloo shape snow house, dig a half circle shape.
  6. Once you are done digging, lay down a tarp on the floor. Then, lay down card board boxes on top of the tarp for the flooring.
  7. For light, use flashlights.
  8. If you are 13 years old and want to sleep inside the tunnel, don’t ask your parents. They will NOT let you sleep inside.
  9. Instead, sneak as many blankets and sleeping bags into the tunnel. Find another person crazy enough to sleep inside the tunnel with you, most likely your brother. Make sure you have a vent at least ½ foot wide for air circulation. WARNING: THIS IS DANGEROUS AND WILL MOST LIKELY GET YOU INTO TROUBLE WITH YOUR PARENTS!! NOT RECOMMENDED!!
  10. I’d recommend using your snow house as a place to play during the day, and not a place to sleep. Trust me, it gets cold at night in a snow house during the winter months! (Skip steps 8 & 9)  
  11. If you find yourself lost and without a shelter in a storm, use any kind of tools available to build a snow tunnel for a shelter. This could save your life.

Safety Concerns:

*Do not build your snow house in a place where people walk, we don’t want anyone falling through, especially if you are inside.

*When the weather gets warm, I wouldn’t recommend playing inside to snow house due to the possibility of the house collapsing. Warm weather will cause the house to become unstable and fragile.

*FOR SAFETY PURPOSES, DO NOT SHARE WITH OTHERS. INTENDED FOR THIS CLASS ONLY. I WOULDN’T RECOMMEND OTHERS TO SLEEP IN A SNOW HOUSE. I GOT REALLY SICK FROM BREATHING IN COLD AIR ALL NIGHT IN A SNOW HOUSE WHEN I WAS 13 YEARS OLD.

Leave a Reply